CFD : COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS
Computational Fluid Dynamics
Computational Fluid Dynamics gives you the power to see beyond the obvious. It has tremendous flexibility & has found numerous applications in improving the Gas Flow Distribution.
CFD offers Project Managers an opportunity to cut down developmental costs by minimizing testing of a scaled-model, which can result in considerably reduced design time and design costs. In a running plant, it offers the advantage of evaluating the existing gas flow distribution pattern with proposed corrective measures.
CFD offers Project Managers an opportunity to cut down developmental time & costs by minimizing testing of a scaled-model. In a running plant, it offers the advantage of evaluating the existing gas flow distribution pattern with proposed corrective measures. It is conducted on a computer model using 3D CAD software.
The need for CFD in the Process Industry
- The optimum Utilization of the ESP, Bag Filter or Cyclone depends on ability to uniformly distribute the gas through the equipment.
- The incoming gas if not distributed properly can load certain sections of the equipment leaving the other sections under-utilized.
- The overloaded section dominates the functioning of the equipment.
- In case of an ESP, it sparks more, clamps the operating voltage at a lower value and causes poor performance.
- The major source of worry for designers is that the ESP shows no signs of malfunctioning while carrying out air load tests but misbehaves at the operating levels.
- CFD is one of the most modern, flexible and dynamic applications for measurement of Gas Distribution in the Process Industry.
- CFD is free from scaling errors, human errors, and safety issues, requires less time & is very efficient.
- Turbulence can be seen & analysed in the form of trajectories.
- Helps identify causes for uneven distribution of gas by reviewing.
- Helps correct gas distribution by introducing or modifying gas distribution devices like Turning Vanes, Ladder Vanes, Diffuser Vanes, GD Screens, Baffles.
- With accurate as built drawings CFD can produce error free results.
- No shut down required for conducting CFD study.
- No wastage, CFD is the most economical technique for measurement of gas flow distribution.
- The starting conditions are the most important & based on them an improvement of 20 to 50% can be expected.